Monday, April 20, 2009

Listening through a collection of 100 Greatest Classics that has been my latest acquisition via the Minneapolis Public Library, I found one of my favorite pieces of all time. Oddly enough, I couldn't remember where the piece was from, what movement it was, or even a composer, so now I'm uber excited. Hey, if I ever do finish my music major, maybe I'll try to hum this one out on piano instead of the Contemporary classical style piece I'd been working on but haven't touched in 2 years...

The Piece is Henry Purcell's Rondeau from Abdelazar. I couldn't find the exact recording that made me fall in love with the piece, but here's a couple I found on Youtube.

The first was recorded by:
The Chamber Orchestra of Hartford
Fritz Mahler, conductor
...Dario Marianelli used his transcription of this piece of music for the "Pride & Prejudice" (2005) soundtrack.
Link

The Second one I found was
recorded In Gabriel's Garden by Wynton Marsalis
A different sound ... though both of these recordings lack the essential harpsichord sound ... though a
Fretted clavichord would make a similar sound as well ... love it!
Link

No comments:

Post a Comment